Near Real Time Earnings
To calculate earnings on an almost real time basis and to reuse that
calculation in whatever tool users employ to surface the data such as spreadsheets, reports,
dashboards or other business applications.
Earnings calculations were being repeated in different places depending on the tool that was being used to surface the
data, such as in reports or spreadsheets. This meant that the calculations were inconsistent and hard to update when
changes were made. Of greatest concern was the ability to depend on the numbers being reported as there seemed to be
more than one version of "the truth".
Build a data warehouse that collects data from the Reinsurance transaction processing system. Transform the data to
capture useful business metrics around
Premiums, Claims, Expenses, Commissions and include dimensions for analysis such as Time,
Treaty, Line of Business, Underwriter, Balance Type Gross/Ceded/Net, Business Unit, Product, Earnings Method and more.
Enable the client to report on underwriting activity from one
reliable, up to date data source.
- Integration Services packages that extract Reinsurance and submissions data many times every day.
- SQL Server Data Warehouse to store the data transformed and aggregated for analysis.
- Analysis Services cubes to allow slicing and dicing of data across different dimensions.
- Reporting Services reports over the Data Warehouse to allow for operational and management reporting.
- Excel spreadsheets over cubes to allow for data access and ad-hoc querying.